Women’s Equity Initiative – Honoring Then, Celebrating Now, Building the Future
By Maddie Belote, Class of 2020
In celebration of women’s history month, NNU’s Women’s Equity Initiative (WEI) has planned several events during the month of March to honor and celebrate outstanding NNU women from the past, present and future and to bring to light some of the accomplishments, struggles and the impact of women on history. Events will include special chapel speakers, performances, discussions, and highlights of NNU’s women’s sporting competitions.
NNU has always had a large female presence on campus and with this presence, NNU boasts a long history, rich in accomplishments of women students, staff, faculty, administrators, and trustees. The WEI embodies this legacy through intentional action to support women on campus. They strive to carve out an equal space for women within our institutions by crafting concrete policies and practices which create an inclusive environment. The group is co-chaired by English Professor Devon Van Essen and Career Center Director Amanda Marble.
“What brings (WEI) together is a shared vision for the success and flourishing of women across campus,” Van Essen explains. “We’re so proud of the fact that the Church of the Nazarene has, from its inception, valued the leadership and full participation of women.”
During the month of March, NNU aims to celebrate women’s endeavors through a variety of events, including:
Chapel, PRAXIS, and Timeout Speakers – NNU’s chapel tradition will honor WEI’s mission of advancing women on campus through speakers and subjects.
- March 2 - The first chapel of the month will honor NNU’s female pioneers. Bella Voce will also sing in dedication.; PRAXIS (7-9 p.m. at Walden Hall) will have a screening of Iron-Jawed Angels sponsored by WEI, Honors College, and Dustin and Olivia Metcalf.
- March 4 - NNU alumna and Trustee Tahmina Martelly will share during chapel; Timeout (9-10 p.m. at Walden Hall) will be fully led by women in music, communion, and speaker.
- March 6 - During Friday morning chapel, a panel of women (Joy Streight, Sarah Riley, Ashley Gage, and Chaplain Olivia Metcalf) will share on ministry leadership and the ongoing progress to help women inhabit and develop in such roles.
- Women in STEM events - NNU hosts a Special Week of Programming from March 2-6 to celebrate and encourage women in STEM
- WEI Lunch Conversations – These conversations will be held around the lunch tables at the Grille 1913 or Dex and are open to anyone who wants to chat and learn more about WEI’s mission on campus. Come to Walden Hall between 11:00 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. on March 4th.
Sporting Events - NNU’s female athletes will be competing in several competitions throughout March and early April. Find more information at www.nnusports.com.
- March 5-7 - Basketball at the GNAC Tournament in Seattle
- March 14 - NNU women’s golf team competes in a dual match with C of I on and March 22-24 at NNU Invitational
- March 20, 2-4 p.m., March 21, 12-2 p.m. home games for our female softball team
- March 21 - Track and Field events for our resolute runners, throwers, and jumpers will premier at NNU Open
The WEI will also be highlighting influential women of NNU throughout the month of March. To learn more about them, click here.